Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Foreign Media Highlights Police Who Interrogate Snake Prisoners

Foreign Media Highlights Police Who Interrogate Snake Prisoners - Foreign media highlighted the interrogation of Papuan police against prisoners using snakes. Videos about the incident circulated on the internet and went viral. In the video, a man shouts in fear when his interrogator laughs.

Foreign media highlighted the interrogation of Papuan police against prisoners using snakes.

As reported by Fox News, the police in Papua claimed to have apologized. But they also tried to justify the actions of the officers by saying the snake was not venomous. They also did not beat the man, suspected of committing theft.

Human rights lawyer Veronica Koman, who distributed the video, said on Sunday (10/2) that this method of interrogation was torture and violating police policies and several laws.

He said the video was the latest of several police and military officials who used snakes to terrorize Papuan prisoners. This is also considered to be a symptom of the culture of racism towards the indigenous people of Papua.

"Sam Lokon, a member of the West Papua National Committee, which advocates for independence from Indonesia, was put into cells with snakes and was also beaten after being arrested in January," Koman was quoted as saying by the Guardian.

According to Koman, the video has forced the police to apologize, which is very rare. He also criticized police efforts to justify this.

This video is one minute and 20 seconds long and shows a dark brown snake, at least two meters high, wrapped around the neck and waist of a handcuffed suspect and an officer pushing the animal's head against the man's face as he grew frightened.

The clerk seemed to ask how many times he had stolen a cellphone. Jayawijaya police chief Tonny Ananda Swadaya said the officers who did so had been given ethical training and were transferred to other locations.

Acting US Secretary of Defense Visits Afghanistan to Discuss Peace

Acting US Secretary of Defense Visits Afghanistan to Discuss Peace - KABUL - Acting US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan arrived in Afghanistan. Shanahan's arrival aims to discuss the reconciliation process with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

Acting US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan arrived in Afghanistan.

So far the Afghan government has not been involved in peace negotiations with the Taliban group. The Taliban did not recognize the government in Kabul because they were considered only US puppets.

"The Afghan government must be involved in the discussion. The Afghan people must decide what their country will look like in the future. This is not about the US, it's about Afghanistan," Shanahan told Reuters on Monday (11/2).

Shanahan explained, his trip to Afghanistan to gain understanding and information about the situation on the ground. The findings in the field will later be reported to President Donald Trump.

Regarding the withdrawal of US troops in Afghanistan, Shanahan claimed that he had not received a specific direction from President Trump. According to him, the US military has security interests in the Afghan region.

"Our presence is to ensure that our military strength supports regional security stability," Shanahan said.

US officials have held several rounds of peace negotiations with the Taliban in Qatar since last year. The negotiations are still experiencing significant obstacles. Moreover, the Taliban rejected the involvement of the Afghan Government in the negotiations. Meanwhile, the next round of negotiations is scheduled for February 25, 2019 in Qatar.

South Asian observer from the Woodrow Wilson Center, Michael Kugelman said, the main priority of Shanahan's arrival in Kabul was to address the concerns of the Afghan Government. Especially related to the planned withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.

"Shanahan's top priority is to impress the government that the US will do everything it can to get Afghanistan involved in peace negotiations," Kugelman said.

US peace envoy, Zalmay Khalizad said, there was progress in negotiations with the Taliban last month in Doha. Meanwhile, the Taliban and the US have outlined sketches for the peace agreement.

Failed to evacuate, Siamese twin baby finally dies

Failed to evacuate, Siamese twin baby finally dies - DUBAI - Siamese twins born in Yemen and desperately need handling abroad died on Saturday (9/2). This was conveyed by the Houthi-controlled Health Ministry on Sunday (11/2).

Siamese twins born in Yemen and desperately need handling abroad died on Saturday (9/2).

Doctors treating Abd al-Khaleq and Abd al-Rahim in Sanaa, the Yemeni capital, said the two children could not survive in the health system in war-torn Yemen. Both need to be taken abroad to get proper care.

Babies who are just two weeks old cannot be taken because the airport in Sanaa has been closed for civil flights since 2015.

The Saudi-led coalition has control of Yemen's airspace. Only UN planes can land there now and reopen the airport, which is a key goal of the UN-led peace talks that began negotiations in Stockholm in December.

"A Saudi organization, King Salman's Center for Humanitarian Relief and Assistance, has been looking for ways to bring the boys abroad by getting treatment," the Saudi news agency SPA said on Wednesday.

The boy has a separate head but shares the torso. In a statement broadcast by the Houthi-run Saba news agency, the Health Ministry said the deaths of the boys reflected the health and humanitarian situation in Yemen, especially children who lived their lives as a result of the war.

The nearly four-year war involved Houthis allied with Iran against a Saudi-backed coalition seeking to restore the government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. Houthis overthrew Hadi from power in Sanaa in 2014.

The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people, collapsed the economy and caused millions more to face hunger.

Source: Antara

Daughter of Thailand Waived from the Prime Minister Candidate List

Daughter of Thailand Waived from the Prime Minister Candidate List - BANGKOK - Thailand's General Election Commission disqualifies Ubolratana Rajakanya's daughter Sirivadhana Barnavadi from the prime minister's candidate. In the official list issued by the Thai KPU, Princess Ubolratana's name was not included as a candidate.

Thailand's General Election Commission disqualifies Ubolratana Rajakanya's daughter Sirivadhana Barnavadi from the prime minister's candidate.

"Every member of the royal family has the same rules which must be politically neutral," the Thai General Election Commission said in a statement quoted by Reuters on Monday (11/2).

In addition, the Thai General Election Commission also considered complaints that tried to ban the Raksa Chart of the Thai Party. Meanwhile, Thailand Raksa Chart is a party that carries Ubolratana as a prime minister candidate.

Last week Ubolratana surprised many parties by advancing in the prime minister's competition. Violating traditions that prohibit royal members from becoming involved in politics.

Ubolratana did release his title by marrying a US citizen in the 1970s. He began acting in television dramas and films. But in the question read on television King Vajiralongkorn said the nomination of his brother was inappropriate and not in accordance with the constitution.

Since 1932 Thailand has indeed used a constitutional royal system. But the king has a very strong influence and is adhered to by the Thai people.

At present Thai politics is divided between a populist 'red uniform' group that supports Thaksin Shinawatra and a conservative 'yellow uniform' royalist group that has an argument with the military. The royalist group said it would submit a petition to issue the Thai Raksa Chart which had an alliance with Thaksin from the general election.

"The royal statement has explained that the party violated the law of general election," said Secretary General of the Association of Constitutional Protectors Srisuwan Janya.

Chairman of the Thai Raksa Chart Party Chaturon Chaisaeng declined to comment on the request to dissolve his party. But Thai Raksa Chart has given a statement. "Will continue to advance to general elections to solve state problems," they said.

Thai law prohibits parties from using royal members to campaign. Thai Raksa Chart is one of several pro-Thaksin parties that competed in the March elections. n. Rizky Jaramaya / Reuters

More than 100 people were killed as a result of Miras Oplosan

More than 100 people were killed as a result of Miras Oplosan - NEW DELHI - More than 100 people have died in two Indian states after drinking alcoholic beverages. According to police and local media, the incident was the worst case in recent years.

More than 100 people have died in two Indian states after drinking alcoholic beverages.

As reported by Reuters, the most victims who died were in Haridwar City, Uttarkhand Province. While in two other cities in Uttar Pradesh Province, many complained of abdominal pain and breathing problems.

"The total death toll in Haridwar is 36 and now around 18 people are undergoing treatment," Haridwar Senior Police Superintendent Janmaijai Prabhakar said on Monday (11/2).

He added that the police had arrested four people related to the case. On the other hand, there were no related parties in Uttar Pradesh Province who could be contacted to get the latest number of victims on Monday.

However, according to local newspapers, Indian Express and Times of India, at least 69 people died as a result of the oplosan drink.

Death due to illegal drinks produced by local people known as hooch or rural liquor is commonplace in India. Because, many people cannot afford alcoholic drinks.

However, the number of deaths is currently believed to be the most deadly case since similar things killed 172 people in West Bengal in 2011.

"He complained of severe abdominal pain, so I took him for injection. He felt better and slept after returning home. But the pain returned, so we took him to the hospital again and they accepted it," said the wife of one of the victims, Hira Lal.

A Saharanpur district judge in Uttar Pradesh, Alok Kumar Pandey last week said that doctors had concluded that many victims died of liver infections and problems in their respiratory systems.

Fly Drones in Myanmar, French Citizen Arrested

Fly Drones in Myanmar, French Citizen Arrested - YANGON - Myanmar police arrested a French citizen, Arthur Desclaux (27 years) for flying a drone near the parliament building in Naypyitaw. A police officer in Naypyitaw, Thein Min Htwe confirmed the detention report of a French citizen for flying a drone.

Myanmar police arrested a French citizen, Arthur Desclaux (27 years) for flying a drone near the parliament building in Naypyitaw.

Meanwhile, an official from the French Embassy in Yangon, Kyaw Naing, confirmed the arrest but refused to provide further details. When asked about the allegations faced by Arthur Desclaux, Naing was reluctant to comment. "We don't know yet, we are contacting Myanmar authorities," Naing said, quoted by Reuters on Monday (11/2).

Local media said, police detained the French citizen on a bridge at the entrance to the parliamentary complex, Naypyitaw. He was accused of importing the drone illegally.

News Watch published a photo of a man holding a Chinese-made drone, and a passport image of a French citizen named Arthur Desclaux.

Naypyitaw is not a common destination for foreign tourists. However, some tourists went to the city because they were attracted by large government buildings.

Previously, in 2017 two Turkish television journalists, TRT World and a translator spent two months in prison in Myanmar. This is because they have flown a drone above the legislative building. They pleaded guilty to violating the colonial era aircraft laws.

Director of the Myanmar Ministry of Tourism, Myint Htwe said, the rules for using drones were never mentioned in writing. But the use of drones may require permission from other departments.

"There are regional rules (where drones can be flown). There are several areas where you can use drones," Htwe said.

Source: Reuters

Lawyer: Najib's First Session Delayed

Lawyer: Najib's First Session Delayed - KUALA LUMPUR - The Malaysian Court of Appeals suspended the trial of the prime minister of former prime minister Najib Razak, related to the 1 Malaysia Develompent Berhad (1MDB) corruption scandal. Last week Najib's attorney submitted a letter requesting that his client's trial be postponed, pending an appeal.

The Malaysian Court of Appeals suspended the trial of the prime minister of former prime minister Najib Razak

One of Najib's lawyers, Harvinderjit Singh, told Reuters in a short message on Monday (11/2), the Court of Appeals had agreed to postpone the trial until the appeal was filed.

As for Najib, he pleaded not guilty to various accusations that were inflicted on him, ranging from violations of trust, money laundering and abuse of power.

Previously, Najib's first trial was scheduled for Tuesday (12/2) with seven counts. One of them is the accusation that Najib pocketed 42 million ringgit or 10.3 million US dollars from SRC International.

The commencement of the inaugural session was an important moment in the disclosure of Malaysia's biggest scandal. In addition, this hearing could reduce pressure on the government of Mahathir Mohamad, who was criticized for being slow to disclose the 1MDB case.

This trial could also be a step to tackle Najib's political maneuvers. Because in recent times, Najib has often appeared on the screen and the internet made criticism of the Mahathir government.

He even packed a criticism targeting millennials, through a video clip with a number of young people uploaded on Youtube. He also uses social media and conducts imaging campaigns as if he is positioning himself as a community idol.

Najib was overthrown in May 2018 and for alleged theft of funds of 4.5 billion dollars from 1MDB. At least six countries including the United States, Switzerland and Singapore have published data on money laundering from 1MDB.

The US attorney stated that the 1MDB corruption fund was used to buy private jets, luxury real estate, paintings by Picasso and Monet, and jewelry.

65 Toddlers Died As a Result of Ebola Outbreaks in Congo

65 Toddlers Died As a Result of Ebola Outbreaks in Congo - KINSHASA - The Save the Children Institute noted the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has increased since last year.

The Save the Children Institute noted the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has increased since last year.

A total of 97 children died as a result of the Ebola outbreak that took place since August 2018. A total of 65 of them were children under the age of five.

Overall the Ministry of Health of the Congo noted that there were 806 ebola cases since August 2018.

Of these 745 cases have been confirmed, and 61 others are still in possibility.

"We are at a crossroads, if there are no urgent steps, the Ebola outbreak might last for another six months or it could be throughout the year," said Save the Children Country Director Heather Kerr, CNN reported on Monday (11/2).

Some Congolese people do not believe that their relatives died from the Ebola outbreak.

Kerr said it was very important to convince the public that ebola was an epidemic that was urgent to deal with.

"It is very important to convince the public that ebola is an urgent problem. Health officials are actually threatened by the community, because it is believed to spread ebola," Kerr said.

Efforts to address the Ebola outbreak have been hampered by violence in the eastern region of the Congo.

The UN Public Health Agency estimates that more than one million refugees travel in and out through North Kivu and Ituri Provinces. This has the potential for ebola distribution.

North Kivu Province includes the cities of Beni, Kalunguta, and Mabalako, and Provinsit Ituri is the center of ebola distribution.

The two provinces have the most densely populated populations, including in the border areas of Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan.